Tuesday, August 31, 2004

small time production, commending my worst, seeing destiny, being stupid, gay men are not monogamous, last day of August

*******
Whew! That was a very long title. I wish that I could write a long substantial composition to top that. This is what happened today.

We presented the God-forsaken history video. That video should have not shown in any medium possible no thanks to the class-suspending typhoon last Thursday. Our report was planned originally as a LIVE skit with all of the horrible lines and actions. Because of cancellation of classes, I decided to write, direct, act, produce and edit a small time video for my group. Thank GOD for that typhoon! Bwahahaha! I did not have any big scenes in mind, just a simple news program with one commercial break. We filmed last Saturday afternoon and I was editing that video until Monday night. I rendered a rough copy to my video cam and that was the one and only full copy. It had some problems with the audio but what the heck.

Today, we presented the report. First part was the boring lecture in tri-media. A nice term but in our report tri-media means reporting in three visual materials: Manila paper, chalkboard and acetate. Even our prof laughed at us because of the "creativity" of the different visual aids. But nonetheless, the small time video amazed everyone. It was informative and comic at the same time. Talk about some last minute monsoon to brighten my day.

******
I had another chance to talk to him live but I chickened out- AGAIN. He was right there, in front of our bench, looking helpless and he was pushing a medium sized mobile chalkboard towards the socsci foyer. He was right there in front of me for minutes, not moving, like expecting a cue from the director for me to enter the scene and help him. Wahhh! Earlier that day during marketing class, I realized that AGAIN, love is like marketing as well. The hardest part of introducing a product was breaking the ice to the consumers. Furthermore, if the consumers liked you at first, how can the company sustain the spark? What if the product goes on a rapid decline? Marketers say that it is better to move the advertising and promotions of the product slowly but surely. In a way, consumers would form a habit of liking the product, gradually loving it and in the end; there would be an established consumer loyalty. Maybe I could do that as well. After that class, philosophy also gave some insights that struck my reality. "Life should be spontaneous." It is hard to be following scripts all the time, sometimes, I should take a leap of faith (or fate) and be not responsible for my actions. The world is full of surprises (and represses.) The point is I would die someday so what is the point of being cautious. (I should be lecturing myself.) Maybe I’m not ready yet. Just maybe.

******
So what if he has a boyfriend? As the old Pinoy saying goes: “Mas madali mahuli ang manok kung nakatali” And further still, gay men are still men, and most men are not monogamous. (a lesson from queer as folk)

No comments: