Saturday, May 05, 2007

Where there is darkness, light


Studying in a Franciscan school for almost a decade would inevitably introduce me to St. Francis' works, one of which is his ever so popular prayer. The wordplay is so beautiful that it used tenses, antonyms and irony to highlight Catholic values. But my post today isn't about analyzing the literary devices used in the prayer but rather on the song version.

Im sharing this uplifting cover by Sarah McLachlan. Weird enough, I first heard it in the last scene of the season 6 finale of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

No comments: